waves

Thursday, April 21, 2011

korean culture



I'm on a mission to learn more about Korean culture. I figure that would be helpful, seeing as we will be traveling there in about a year or so. I realize that my seemingly new obsession will seem contrived to some. Trust me, it's genuine.

It all started with my gateway drug, Memoirs of a Geisha. (Read it. It's fabulous.)

And then I found Thousand Splendid Suns and Kite Runner. Wow. Those were actually so good that Kevin read them. If you don't know, he's strictly a non-fiction reader.

And then I was all about southern culture books, my favorite being a recently read The Help.

I attribute my love for cultural literature to my friend Kristy, whom I taught with at Homewood a few years ago. She is a multi-culture genius! Some seriously good reads came from her.

So now I'm going in the direction of Korea. It is an obvious choice, but I promise the roots were planted long ago. My eye is on Please Look After Mom. It's about a mom going missing in a train station and is told in four perspectives, all family members. I was in Barnes & Noble tonight and saw it on the New Arrivals table...for $24.99. No, thanks. Amazon will give it to me for about $14, used. I'm cool with that. Maybe I will order it this weekend. Or maybe the Easter Bunny will bring it. If I can get my hands on it, I promise a book review. Bookworms unite!

To go with my Korean research, I'll leave you with a lovely Gilmore Girls clip AND a great blog I found authored by Korean-American sisters. Winning!

Sending Hugs

2 comments:

  1. So you're a bibliophile AND an adoptive mommy? Girl. Got much love for ya. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Check out 2nd and Charles in Hoover. They might have it for cheap.
    Also, check out paperbackswap.com. I'm betting you would love it. :)

    ReplyDelete